HARKER HEIGHTS — Nineteen houses on Lynn Drive that were slated to be demolished by the city last week were given a temporary “stay of execution” as the Harker Heights Planning and Development Department reviews a work plan submitted by the owner.
“We gave them a little more time,” City Manager Steve Carpenter said Wednesday. “We’re going out of our way to give them a chance to respond. Right now the demolition is on hold until I give the notice to proceed.”
The city made plans earlier this month to tear down the houses for safety and code violation reasons. Carpenter said the owners, Buttross Properties of Austin, failed to submit a comprehensive plan for rehabilitating the single-family homes, duplexes and fourplexes in the time frame given them by the city’s Building Standards Commission.
However, David Buttross claimed the plan had been submitted but was “mysteriously lost” by the city. He submitted another plan last week, and Carpenter said the city has reviewed it and forwarded it to the city attorney for further scrutiny.
“We’ll give (Buttross) our comments on their plan, and we’ll see what their response is,” Carpenter said, declining to give a time frame for a decision to be made on moving forward with the demolitions.
Buttross said in an email he believes the city is working with him to save his properties. “All I can say is we love our houses and want to fix them up and do not want them bulldozed.”
Contact Kristi Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (254) 501-7548