Guns and Hoses softball game
Police Chief Gary Kent, with the Nolanville Police Department team, right, high-fives a teammate after scoring a run against the Central Bell County Fire and Rescue team during the annual Guns and Hoses softball game Saturday, Nov. 2, 2013, at Nolanville City Park.
Cove council swearing in
City Council member Place 3 Gary Kent is sworn in by Municipal Court Judge William Price on Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2013, at the City Council Chambers in Copperas Cove.
- Volunteer opportunities
There are many places to volunteer in the community, from picking up litter in your own neighborhood to joining a nonprofit to help the needy. Here are a few ideas and contact numbers:
• Greater Killeen Free Clinic, 254-618-4211
• Area Agency on Aging in Belton, 254-770-2330
• Fort Hood American Red Cross, 254-288-8144
• American Red Cross Heart of Texas Chapter, 200-4400 (then press 4)
• Food Care Center Killeen, 254-681-4458
• Mother Neff State Park, 254-853-2389
• Gatesville Care Center, 254-865-6736
• Boys & Girls Club of Central Texas,
• Boys & Girls Club of Gatesville, 254-865-8347
Other locations: Libraries, hospitals, schools, churches, animal shelters. Always touch base with the organizations to see the type of volunteers they are looking for or what they may need.
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 4:30 am
Posted on Dec 15, 2013
As the third-youngest in a family of 16 children in St. Louis, Gary Kent said there were two things he wanted to do when he grew up: be a soldier and a police officer. Missions accomplished.
Kent spent 24 years in the U.S. Army, in aviation, retiring as a first sergeant in 2009.
Or, use your
Contact Tim Orwig at firstname.lastname@example.org
More about Army
Sunday, December 15, 2013 4:30 am.