Killeen council to vote on water plant contract - News - Mobile Adv

back Side Panel

Killeen council to vote on water plant contract


The Killeen City Council will decide tonight whether to allow the city manager to enter into an agreement with the water district so construction can begin on a new water plant.

The proposed agreement with Bell County Water Control and Improvement District No. 1 is for the financing, design and construction of a water treatment plant on Stillhouse Hollow Lake. The council’s nod would give City Manager Glenn Morrison the liberty to move forward with getting the plant, which will add 10 million gallons of water per day to the city’s capacity, off the ground.

The agreement also provides the city with 2 million gallons per day of interim water while the facility is under construction.

The city currently has 32 million gallons per day from Belton Lake, but as the city continues to grow, so does its need for additional water.

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality requires a city to begin planning for future water usage once it reaches 85 percent of its peak treatment capacity. In 2011, Killeen nearly hit that mark, forcing city officials to begin executing a plan.

In other business, the council will cast its vote on Killeen becoming the second city in Bell County to bear the Purple Heart City designation.

The council was presented with the opportunity to bear the nationally recognizable designation in a Jan. 28 workshop meeting.

Harker Heights became the first when it accepted the designation in mid-January.

There are 281 Purple Heart cities in the United States.

Texas is home to four of them: Harker Heights, Georgetown, Kerrville and Lubbock. Kerr County is the only county in the state to bear the designation.

Purple Heart cities are known for their dedication to veterans, and the designation pays tribute to service members who received the honor.

The regular meeting is slated for 5 p.m. today in the City Council Chambers, 101 N. College St.

Contact Natalie Stewart at or 254-501-7555