By Michelle Guffey

Killeen Daily Herald

BELTON A 22-year-old Killeen man accused of kidnapping a 7-year-old girl and raping another one was arraigned Friday.

Michael Andrea Larkin will go to trial Jan. 9, 2006, on a June 8 charge of aggravated sexual assault of a child and on a July 1 charge of kidnapping.

Larkin, who will be represented by the law firm of Ted L. Potter of Belton, is in the Bell County Jail on a $1 million bond for each charge.

According to the arrest affidavit, a 7-year-old Killeen girl stated she was walking home from her aunts house when a man in a gold, two-door car drove up and ordered her to get into the car.

Later, after the girl was released near her home, the 7-year-old was taken to the hospital for a sexual assault examination. She indicated to the nurse that Larkin had sodomized her.

On Aug. 29, the girl was taken to the police station where she was asked if she recognized the man who assaulted her.

She was able to identify (Larkin) in an in-person lineup, First Assistant District Attorney Murff Bledsoe said.

The district attorneys office issued an arrest warrant which was served to Larkin in the Bell County Jail after he was arrested in the July 1 kidnapping.

Less than a month after the girls rape, another 7-year-old Killeen girl was outside her home on Meadowbrook Drive when a man pulled up to the sidewalk and told her to get in the car.

The girl stated that the man then picked her up and put her in the car and drove off.

Other children told police they were playing outside when they heard screaming and saw a man grab the victim and put her in a gold vehicle and drive away.

The victim was later found crying hysterically and walking along a road in Nolanville. The girl had not been sexually assaulted, police said.

At the time of his arrest on July 6, Larkin was out on a $40,000 bond and was under house arrest stemming from a March 9 incident at an elementary school in Copperas Cove.

Larkin is accused of entering Hettie Halstead Elemen-tary in Copperas Cove and waiting in the girls bathroom, where a 7-year-old female student was sexually assaulted. A Coryell County grand jury indicted Larkin on charges of aggravated kidnapping and aggravated sexual assault.

Larkin was set to go to trial Monday for the Copperas Cove incident, but he was taken off the docket for that week.

We have another trial going that day, a spokesman in the Coryell County district attorneys office stated. As of Friday, a new trial date had not been set.

When Larkin was arrested in connection with the July 1 kidnapping, he was wearing an electronic monitoring device that was ordered by Judge Phillip Zeigler, of the 52nd District Court, as a condition of his probation in the elementary school incident.

Larkin was required to wear the bracelet after his arrest in Coryell County because court and military officials saw him as a flight risk after he tried to buy a plane ticket to Los Angeles, where his mother lives.

Court records show that Larkin was allowed to leave his house only to go to church.

Before his discharge, Larkin was a specialist with Company A, 15th Main Support Batta-lion, 1st Cavalry Division. The military was investigating allegations that he molested two women while stationed in Iraq.

Shortly after Larkins arrest in July, a 1st Cavalry spokes-man confirmed that Larkin was discharged from the military on June 16 for commission of a serious crime.

The former soldier faces a possible sentence of five to 99 years or life in prison if convicted.

Contact Michelle Guffey at

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.