By Sgt. 1st Class Kap Kim

1st Cavalry Division public affairs

FORT HOOD – Although the last of 1st Cavalry Division's 2nd Brigade Combat Team members missed Christmas by a couple of hours, not one single soldier or family member seemed to care as they walked across Cooper Field, most donning Santa Claus hats, at 1:45 a.m. Saturday at Fort Hood.

The 200 on the morning's flight were the last of the "Black Jack" soldiers deployed to northern Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Many of the families spent a good portion of Christmas Day either on the road or staying at a local hotel room waiting on the flight to arrive.

Sgt. 1st Class Jennnifer Edwards, a platoon sergeant assigned to Alpha Company, 15th Brigade Support Battalion, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, showed up to welcome back her husband, Sgt. 1st Class Jerald Edwards, also a platoon sergeant. She had been waiting since Dec. 17, when she returned from Iraq.

During the mad rush to find family members and friends, most people get lost in the scramble for a few minutes. Yet, now on their second deployment to Iraq, the Edwardses knew exactly how and where to meet on the division's parade field where the welcome home ceremonies are held.

"We have a system now. Isn't it sad that we have a system where we'll meet on the field?" Jennifer joked.

The two deployed together for the year. Jerald serves in the 2nd Brigade Combat Team's headquarters.

As the two career soldiers were about to enter another deployment, they decided that they should get on the same deployment cycle. Jennifer, who was assigned to the 20th Engineer Battalion, 36th Engineer Brigade, at Fort Hood, decided to be reassigned to 2nd Brigade to deploy with her husband.

The Edwardses, who have two school-aged boys, thought it would be the lesser of two evils. When the two deployed, they left Hunter, 12, and Rylee, 8, with Jennifer's parents in Bakersfield, Calif.

"Rather than having one parent gone for a year, every other year, we thought it would be better on them for both of us just to be gone for one year," Jennifer said.

She's spent the last week making sure their home in Killeen was ready for her husband, their children and their pets. "She's a part of the family care plan," she said, laughing.

The two plan on going to California to get their children and to come back to Fort Hood to get them ready for school after the winter break.

Although there were separation issues, Jennifer said her children well, and she added that the first deployment helped them ease into the second one.

"I mean, what kid is happy with both their parents gone," she said of Hunter and Rylee. "I think they did well; they're tough cookies ... and they had their grandparents help them out."

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.