Rogelio Jones

Brenita Bridges Kincaid knows her son wasn’t perfect. But he didn’t deserve to die over $190, and that’s what she told Judge Fancy Jezek Tuesday afternoon.

Rogelio Noel Jones, 30, was sentenced Tuesday to 50 years in prison for the murder of Jonathan Bridges. The shooting resulted from an argument over some bad cough syrup that Bridges sold Jones for $190. The prosecution told Jezek that text messages recovered from Jones’ phone indicated that he planned to sell the cough syrup later.

The Killeen police found Bridges, 22, bleeding from a gunshot wound in a parking lot in the 1100 block of Ronstan Drive on March 11, 2015, according to past Herald reports. Before he was brought to a Temple hospital, he gave police a description that matched Jones and his companion, who later turned out to be Shaian Westbrook.

Jones was found guilty of murder by a jury on Feb. 10.

Kincaid said that nearly an entire day went by before she learned that her son was shot. She was able to rush to the hospital in Temple to see him one last time, and was reading him Scripture from the books of Luke and Mark when he died, according to her testimony. Losing her son, who she described as a funny person and the glue in her family who could always make peace between his two sisters, has been difficult. She didn’t have any problems with Jones’ long prison sentence.

“I’m fine with it,” she said.

Jones had a history of felony offenses, and was convicted of driving while intoxicated in Coryell County, and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in 2007, according to his attorney Buck Harris. He was on the final day of his parole when he shot and killed Bridges. Aside from murder, Jones faces five other misdemeanor charges, including terroristic threat and possession of a dangerous drug.

While on the stand, Kincaid said that the family was planning on moving back to North Carolina, where she was originally from. Bridges was talking to a basketball coach at Lenoir-Rhyne University, a liberal arts college with Division II athletics, and was hoping to enroll in school and play the following fall.

Bridges’ father Chad Kincaid also testified as a witness. Kincaid told Jezek that he had not seen his son since he was 12 years old, as that’s when he was sentenced to prison for drug related charges. He did talk to him periodically, and told him that he planned to marry his mother when he got out of prison.

“I told him, when I come home, I’m going to get my life together, and I want him to get his together too,” Kincaid said. “The street life is over for me.”

Kincaid was about 50 days away from his release from prison when his son was killed.

“Sometimes, I think if I never went to prison, this never would have happened,” he said.|254-501-7552

254-501-7552 |

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.