Fire - burn

A Killeen Fire Department engine and ambulance responded to a residential fire around 8 a.m. in the 200 block of West Mary Jane Drive in Killeen on Tuesday that was caused by a dryer, a fire official said.

Firefighters extinguished the fire with “minimal damage,” said Capt. Chris Mahlstedt with the Fire Marshal’s Office, on Tuesday

“It was confined to the dryer but it smoked up the place,” he said.

Mahlstedt said the resident was using the dryer when the fire started.

Mahlstedt was not sure of the cause in this case because the fire marshal was not called to the scene. He said dryer fires are uncommon but usually happen for two preventable reasons.

“When people overload their dryer it puts too much weight on the drum for the motor to keep up, which burns up the motor,” Mahlstedt said. “So don’t put your king-size comforter in with a bunch of towels.”

The other reason is not keeping the lint filter clean.

Emily Hilley-Sierzchula is reporter for the Killeen Daily Herald. Reach her at emilys@kdhnews.com

Herald reporter

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.