Sam's Club

The Harker Heights Fire Department continue to search around 3 p.m. Friday  through Sam's Club in Harker Heights after a possible gas leak was reported around 11:30 a.m.

Harker Heights firefighters responded to a possible gas leak around 11:30 a.m. Friday at the Sam's Club, 600 W. Central Texas Expressway.

Nobody was injured in any capacity, according to Fire Chief Paul Sims. About a dozen workers and several customers were promptly evacuated once HHFD arrived on scene.

An odor and unsafe carbon dioxide levels were reported, according to Sims. Whether a gas leak caused them is unconfirmed at this time. All gas and appliances were shut off as a precaution.

"A number of things could be causing that," Sims said.

Atmos Energy workers were also on scene sweeping through the storefront.

Officials expect to open Sam's Club once they have the "all clear." Crews were still searching the building near 3 p.m. Friday.

Lt. Stephen Miller, with Harker Heights Police Department, said a gas leak was reported in the back of the store.

This story will be updated.

jbrooks@kdhnews.com | 254-501-7468

Herald staff writer

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.