Sam's Club

The Harker Heights Fire Department continue to search around 3 p.m. Friday  through Sam's Club in Harker Heights after a possible gas leak was reported around 11:30 a.m.

A Harker Heights Fire Department investigation Friday determined a sewer gas leak at Sam's Club was to blame for an odor that led authorities to evacuate the store, according to a press release.

Firefighters responded to the call around 11:30 a.m. at 600 W. Central Texas Expressway.

The sewer gas leak was discovered in a "very concentrated" section of the building, according to the release. There were no other leaks detected in the building or area.

Nobody was injured in any capacity, according to Harker Heights Fire Chief Paul Sims. About a dozen workers and several customers were promptly evacuated once HHFD arrived on scene. All gas and appliances were shut off as a precaution.

The sewer gas leak released unsafe amounts of carbon dioxide, according to Sims. 

The leak levels were determined to be safe at approximately 3:15 p.m.

Atmos Energy workers were also on scene sweeping through the storefront.

mpayne@kdhnews.com | 254-501-7553

Herald staff writer

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.