A Harker Heights man is in Bell County Jail in lieu of $1 million bond in connection with a January robbery in which the victim was hit in the head with a hammer.
Judge Garland Potvin arraigned Vance Blaine Luna, 24, on a charge of aggravated robbery Friday. Potvin said the high bail amount was set because Luna posed a flight risk.
Luna is accused of helping Carlos Derrell Collins Jr. escape from an apartment after Collins attacked another man with a hammer Jan. 14.
According to an arrest affidavit, the victim met Collins, whom he knew as “Steve” on Craigslist. The victim said he and Collins were lying naked on a bed when Collins struck him in the back of the head with an unknown object, the affidavit stated.
The victim said he blacked out “a little” and Collins ran off. Police recovered a hammer from the bedroom where the attack occurred. The victim later identified Collins as “Steve.”
According to a second arrest affidavit, the hammer had the words “SPC Luna” carved on the handle. Luna’s ex-girlfriend later told police Luna said he picked up Collins after the robbery, according to an arrest affidavit.
When questioned by police, Luna said they planned to rob the victim, and also said Collins only hit the victim once “because the hammer bounced out of his hand.”
Collins was arrested and charged with aggravated robbery Jan. 19, and is in Bell County Jail on $1 million bond.
Earlier statements from the Killeen Police Department mentioned they wanted to “speak with” Collins regarding a homicide on Anderson Avenue. On Jan. 15, police found 32-year-old Sean William Schuman dead in his apartment. An autopsy determined Schuman died from blunt-force injuries to the head.
Speaking Friday, a KPD spokeswoman said she could not comment on whether Collins and Luna were suspects in Schuman’s death, which is under investigation.
In an unrelated incident, Potvin arraigned Alfonza Loren Rudolph, 31, on a charge of fraudulent use of identifying information. Rudolph’s bail was set at $20,000.
Area police reports indicated:
- A burglary of a habitation was reported at 12:45 a.m. Thursday in the 200 block of Bryce Avenue.
- A burglary of a habitation with forced entry was reported at 3:47 p.m. Thursday in the 2100 Block of Robert E. Lee Drive.
- A burglary of a habitation with intent to commit another offense was reported at 5:29 p.m. Thursday in the 2900 block of Illinois Avenue. The victim said her daughter’s father broke into the residence and assaulted her.
- A burglary of a habitation was reported at 6:58 p.m. Thursday in the 4000 block of Littlerock Drive.
- A burglary of a habitation with forced entry was reported at 10:30 p.m. Thursday in the 3500 block of Ida Drive.
- Criminal mischief was reported at 1:20 a.m. Friday in the 2900 block of East Central Texas Expressway. An unknown person damaged a black 2003 Saturn Ion.
- A theft under $50 was reported at 1:03 a.m. Thursday in the 1400 block of Lowes Boulevard.
- Fraudulent destruction, removal or concealment was reported at 11:59 a.m. Thursday in the 1400 block of Lowes Boulevard.
- A theft, misdemeanor, was reported at 1:37 p.m. Thursday in the 600 block of North Gray Street.
- A forgery was reported at 2:50 p.m. Thursday in the 1100 block of Lowes Boulevard.
- An assault with bodily injury was reported at 5:55 p.m. Thursday in the 1000 block of Conner Court.
- An assault with bodily injury was reported at 7:40 p.m. Thursday in the 3500 block of Turner Avenue.
- Criminal mischief was reported at 9:30 p.m. Thursday in the 2900 block of East Central Texas Expressway.
- Possession of drug paraphernalia was reported at 10:07 p.m. Thursday at the intersection of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and Zephyr Road.
- A burglary of a residence was reported at 8 a.m. Thursday in the 1400 block of Summer Glenn Drive.
Contact Chris McGuinness at email@example.com or (254) 501-7568. Follow him on Twitter at ChrismKDH.