BELTON — A Killeen man is facing his third felony drug charge since 1997 and could face life in prison if convicted.
Alfred Howard Prejean, 44, was indicted Wednesday on a charge of possession with intent to deliver methamphetamine, 1 gram or more, by a Bell County grand jury.
Prejean was arrested by Belton police and the U.S. Marshals Service on Dec. 27 at his place of employment on a federal probation violation warrant.
During a body search of Prejean, police recovered a nylon Zipper case that contained a plastic baggie with a “crystal-like substance,” two green pills and four additional numbered baggies that also contained the crystal substance, according to an arrest affidavit.
When asked what the items inside the case were, Prejean responded “meth,” according to police.
The substance also tested positive for methamphetamine.
The total weight of the methamphetamine was about 4 grams, the affidavit stated.
Court records show Prejean was convicted twice before on drug charges.
He was convicted of possession of methamphetamine with intent to deliver in 1997, for which he was sentenced to five years in prison, and was released in 2000.
He also was convicted of possession of precursors with intent to manufacture methamphetamine in 2004 and was sentenced to 15 years in prison.
Court records show he was released in 2011 on parole.
Because of those two prior felony convictions, Prejean could face 25 years to life in prison if convicted of the offense alleged in Wednesday’s indictment.
The grand jury also indicted the following individuals Wednesday:
• Michael Shane Laurenti, 28, of Killeen, on a charge of burglary of a habitation.
• Katrina Michelle Jackson, 26, of Killeen, on a charge of assault of a public servant.
• Dennis Rene McLay, 56, of Killeen, on a charge of burglary of a habitation.
• Edwin Jermaine Gray, 29, of Pensecola, Fla., on a charge of criminal mischief over $1,500.
• Jordan Richard Carey, 24, of Harker Heights, on a charge of possession of hydromorphone, less than 1 gram.
• Brenda Gale Branton, 55, of Killeen, on a charge of tampering with physical evidence.
Contact Chris McGuinness at email@example.com or (254) 501-7568. Follow him on Twitter at ChrismKDH.