• December 18, 2014

More bomb threats at Cove school

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:30 am | Updated: 11:51 am, Wed Jul 16, 2014.

COPPERAS COVE — Despite beefed-up security, bomb threats continue to plague Copperas Cove for the third week in a row.

The district experienced two more bomb threats at Copperas Cove Junior High School this week, according to a statement released Tuesday afternoon by the Copperas Cove Police Department.

The new incidents bring the total number of threats — some of them scrawled on bathroom walls — to 11. The threats began in early December.

The first threat this week occurred at 10:26 a.m. Monday, a police news release stated. Police then responded to a second bomb threat at 7:28 a.m. Tuesday. A 14-year-old boy was detained by police in connection with Tuesday’s threat, as well as one that occurred Dec. 11.

In both incidents this week, no students were evacuated and parents were not informed of the incidents. Olga Peña, the school district spokeswoman, said this was because both threats were determined to be hoaxes.

“We were not even considering evacuation because the building had been secured, and all students had been searched before entering,” she said.

Peña also said the threat found Monday seemed to have been “left over” from the previous week.

Hoax or not, Cove Junior High School parent Kelly Burnett said she wished the district would have informed parents about the threats.

“I really think they should have made us aware of what happened,” Burnett said. “Even if they are hoaxes, it’s about my child’s life being in danger.”

Monday’s and Tuesday’s incidents occurred after Cove students resumed classes, which were canceled at all campuses from Dec. 12 through Friday because of the previous slew of threats.

Students returned Monday morning to schools with increased security. While the district declined to release specific changes to security at campuses, sources reported the use of metal detectors, dogs, searches of people and belongings as well as an increased presence of law enforcement and roving patrols at the schools.

Those measures appeared to cause delays for students like Ayshia Young, who said it took some students at Copperas Cove High School nearly three hours just to get in the doors Monday.

“It’s rough enough not being able to feel safe in school, but even with the safety equipment it’s not fair having to waste almost three hours just trying to get into school,” Young said. “It’s a hassle and just too much to deal with, honestly.”

Burnett said her daughter and other students were feeling frustrated with the situation.

“They are fed up with it, and many of them are scared,” Burnett said.

While the new security measures may be tough for some students, it does not appear they will cease any time soon. Peña said the new procedures would remain in effect indefinitely.

Beginning today, the district will end the school day two hours early at all campuses for the remainder of the week.

Police continue to investigate the threats and have detained nine juveniles so far.

More about

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

3 comments:

  • mzfitz posted at 1:31 pm on Fri, Dec 28, 2012.

    mzfitz Posts: 19

    I agree Change, my daughter and her friends are students at CCHS and they're very frustrated with everything that's happening. They wish the people who are doing this would just knock it off already, or they would at least get locked up so the kids who aren't doing anything wrong can go to school in peace.

     
  • Change posted at 11:36 am on Wed, Dec 19, 2012.

    Change Posts: 1

    I hope this is not just a slap on the hand and released for those found to have committed this crime. Juveniles or not, this is a terrorist act. Too many times we find out after a shooting that the person gave warning signs and nobody listened. This is not a joke and anyone found making these threats should be locked up.

     
  • Proud Mother of an Army Avi8er posted at 6:42 am on Wed, Dec 19, 2012.

    Proud Mother of an Army Avi8er Posts: 252

    As a parent I feel school districts have an obligation to inform parents of any and all potential situations where their children COULD be in harms way. To ASSume it was a hoax is neglectful on the districts part. Safety First!