• September 23, 2014

Organization helps abused children in Central Texas

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 4:30 am

The Children’s Advocacy Center of Central Texas is a nonprofit organization providing area children with comprehensive services to protect them, promote healing and improve the quality of life for abused and neglected children in Central Texas.

In 2012, the organization served 700 children in Bell and Coryell counties. This year, the organization estimates it will serve 750.

The organization has provided these services since 1999 and relies not only on federal and state grants, but on charities such as the United Way of the Greater Fort Hood Area to help fund its roughly $600,000 annual budget.

“About 55 percent of our funding is from (the grants),” said Michelle Carter, the center’s executive director. “The other 45 percent is raised in the community,”

That incudes donations from organizations like the United Way. Carter said her organization receives about $5,000 annually from United Way of the Greater Fort Hood Area.

That $5,000 helps fund the center’s Court Appointed Special Advocate, or CASA, program. The CASA program trains citizen volunteers who are appointed by a judge to represent the best interests of abused and neglected children in court.

“These volunteers donate their time to become advocates for these children,” Carter said.

In addition to providing much-needed funding for its programs, organizations like United Way also carry an added benefit for nonprofits like the center, Carter said.

“At the end of the day, an organization like the United Way lends credibility to what we do,” Carter said. “We are grateful for their help.”

Currently, Carter said the CASA program is in need of volunteers and urged anyone interested to contact the center for more information.

More about

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.