HARKER HEIGHTS — In an ongoing effort to prepare the city for continued growth, City Council members voted to award several contracts at their meeting Tuesday.
The council approved a resolution authorizing City Manager David Mitchell to execute an advance funding agreement with the Texas Department of Transportation for left-turn lane improvements on Farm-to-Market 2410 at Highland Oaks Drive.
Mark Hyde, public works director, explained that on Sept. 18 the Killeen-Temple Metropolitan Planning Organization allocated $573,663 in Category 7 funds to the city for the project. The total price of the project, minus engineering and surveying costs, is $573,000.
“The program requires a minimum of 20 percent local funding. Category 7 funds will cover 80 percent of the cost with the city covering the remaining 20 percent,” Hyde said.
TXDOT will provide the engineering and surveying services for a total contribution of $115,000. The city will pay $114,600 and the total cost after Category 7 funds are added is $688,000.
In other business, a contract for the FM 2410 trunk sewer, phase 1 project was awarded to Hoover Construction Company for $2.4 million. During the bidding process, 19 packets were received.
Hyde said the sanitary sewer project includes about 2.2 miles of a 10-inch diameter force main, 33 manholes, 2 miles of gravity sanitary sewer ranging from 8-inch to 27-inch diameter pipe and one 800-gallon-per-minute lift station.
“The project generally follows the South Nolan Creek tributary on the north side of FM 2410 between Quanah Valley Drive and Rummel Road,” he said.
The only caveat in the project is that the city does not have all utility easements and rights of way.
About 1,726 linear feet of 18-inch diameter gravity sanitary sewer line will cross the Sutton property with five standard 4-foot diameter manholes.
The case is currently in condemnation proceedings. City Attorney Burk Roberts expects a decision within six months.
TTG Utilities was awarded the contract for FM 2410 waterline improvements for $346,275. Seven bids were received.
The project includes seven 8-inch waterline bores crossing FM 2410 and connecting to the existing 16-inch waterline on the south side of FM 2410. Fire hydrants will be installed on the north side of FM 2410 at each bore location.
“The Dog Ridge Water Supply Corporation’s distribution along 2410 between Warrior’s Path and High Oak Drive will be removed from the Central Texas Water Supply Corporation’s transmission line and connected to the Harker Heights distribution system,” Hyde said adding that 85 Dog Ridge customers will now be serviced by Heights.
Contact Vanessa Lynch at firstname.lastname@example.org or 254-501-7567.