• January 25, 2015

Heights partners with TxDOT for left turn lane, signal light improvements

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 6:37 pm

HARKER HEIGHTS — The city has partnered with the Texas Department of Transportation to construct left-turn lane and signal light improvements on Farm-to-Market 3481 from Prospector Trail to the FM 2410 intersection and on Verna Lee Boulevard from FM 2410 to Pinewood Drive.

During a meeting Tuesday, City Council members voted to authorize City Manager David Mitchell to execute an advance funding agreement with TxDOT for both improvements.

Mark Hyde, public works director, said the city is charged with paying for 66 percent of the $1.2 million construction cost for the turn lane. Federal and state participation will cover the remaining 34 percent of construction costs.

“Engineering, survey, inspection and public hearings, environmental assessments and bidding costs are being funded through state and federal sources,” Hyde said, adding that the city will pay TxDOT $759,000 and also is responsible for all utility relocation costs.

The bid packet also includes signal light improvements on FM 3481 at Prospector Trail, where the city is responsible for 100 percent of the engineering and construction costs.

The cost of the signal light traffic warrant, engineering and surveying currently underway with Walker Partners and the Alliance Transportation Group is $34,725, Hyde said. Construction costs of this project are estimated at $150,000, with construction to begin early next year.

More about

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.