• August 21, 2014

Lampasas voters weigh in on tax break

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 4:30 am

LAMPASAS — Many voters are turning out early to voice their opinions on the proposed senior tax freeze for residents age 65 and older, Elections Administrator Randy McGuire said.

Lampasas County has 12,540 registered voters. As of late Thursday afternoon, approximately 290 voters had made their way to the polls. Early voting continues through Friday.

“Most of the people voting in this election are voting in the over 65 tax proposal,” McGuire said. “On Wednesday, we actually had a line for a short time. There are gaps in traffic throughout the day, but most voters are in and out of here in about 10 minutes.”

The tax freeze issue has been emotionally charged at times. Many older adults favor the proposal, citing fixed incomes and their days of wage-earning long behind them. Some county officials, however, expressed concern that a freeze would place too large a burden on younger families struggling to survive in today’s economy.

Earlier this summer, County Auditor Chris Munn told officials the county could lose as much as $1.2 million in the next seven years if the item is passed.

The tax freeze would benefit 14.7 percent of the county’s residents who are in the 65 and older tax bracket, but those opposed to the idea are worried about the financial strain the freeze would place on the remaining 85.3 percent of the county’s wage-earning population.

Voters also will see nine statewide propositions on the ballot. Also, some residents will see candidates for three Copperas Cove City Council seats and a proposal allowing for a $6 million certificate of obligation for a new Copperas Cove fire station.

More about

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.