Here is a look at other shootings at military installations in recent years:
- July 21, 2013: Grand Forks Air Force Base, N.D. Tech. Sgt. Matthew Hullman dies following a shooting incident.
- March 21, 2013: Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va. Cpl. Jacob Wooley, 23, of Guntown, Miss., is killed by Sgt. Eusebio Lopez, 25, of Pacifica, Calif., military officials said. Lopez also shoots Lance Cpl. Sara Castromata, 19, of Oakley, Calif., to death before he kills himself.
- June 4, 2012: Offutt Air Force Base, Neb. Zachari Johnson, 21, of Lincoln, dies at an Omaha hospital after being shot by an Air Force security contractor. Authorities said Johnson was shot when he crashed a car through a base entrance. Air Force officials said the guard followed procedure when he shot Johnson.
- Sept. 18, 2011: Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, Ariz. Lance Cpl. Daryl Adams, 22, an avionics technician, is shot and wounded in Yuma. The shooting is accidental and the suspect is also a local Marine.
- May 19, 2010: MacDill Air Force Base, Fla. The FBI said military veteran Ronald J. Bullock, 61, of Hanson, Mass., is fatally shot by one of its agents at MacDill Air Force Base. The FBI said Bullock was involved in an altercation at the campground that led to a pursuit by base police. When the FBI agent confronted him, Bullock pulled a knife and the agent shot him.
- Feb. 22, 2010: Luke Air Force Base, Ariz. Gabriel Aguilera, 19, is charged with first-degree murder, aggravated assault and unlawful flight from law enforcement. Aguilera drove a stolen car into Luke Air Force Base, which resulted in the fatal shooting of his 16-year-old passenger.
- Dec. 11, 2009: Near Offutt Air Force Base, Neb. Airman 1st Class Corey Hernandez, 21, fatally shoots Senior Airman Michael Garvia, 23, of San Benito, Texas, in a game of “trust.” Hernandez is later sentenced to five years of confinement and given a dishonorable discharge.
- Nov. 5, 2009: Fort Hood. Army Maj. Nidal Malik Nadal Hasan, 39, was convicted in August for killing 13 people and wounding more than 30.