By Jon Schroeder

Killeen Daily Herald

For Coryell County, Christmas came early this year – but that might just be because

county officials were insistent

upon their list.

The federal government, through Category C and Section 406 requests, both of which deal with damage done during the June 16 to Aug. 3 Presidential Disaster Declaration in Texas, has approved more than $724,000 for Coryell County projects.

A 75 percent contribution from the federal coffers will go toward the project, and generally the counties have to come up with the other 25 percent. But not Coryell County – instead, county officials have gone to the Office of Rural and Community Affairs and been approved for "up to $204,000" in state funding to cover the matching obligation, said Coryell County Judge John Firth, who recused himself from Friday's decision as a member of the approving State Review Committee.

"We will be able to repair all public infrastructure in the county that was damaged," he said. "With this state commitment on Friday, we will not have to use county tax money."

Precinct 4 Commissioner Elizabeth Taylor, who has personally visited each approved project site on several occasions, said that about 95 percent of the projects will be completed in the next 18 months. One or two may not because of base construction time frames.

"We've come out better than we could have imagined," Taylor said, noting that the county has gotten almost everything for which it has asked. "It became more than overwhelming, to say the least."

She said "added effort" on the part of the county was a factor in getting money: at Friday's meeting of the State Review Committee, Coryell County and the city of Gatesville received a total of $554,000, about 20 percent of the $2.8 million approved statewide.

"I don't think we were hit harder (by the storms at the end of June)," she said. "We were proactive and diligent in everything we did."

Contact Jon Schroeder at or call (254) 547-0428

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.