By Jimmie Ferguson

Killeen Daily Herald

COPPERAS COVE The 34-year-old Copperas Cove man wanted in connection with a high-speed pursuit here a week ago was behind bars in Lampasas County Jail on Friday.

Gary V. Straley was being held in Lampasas County Jail in lieu of a total of $75,000 in bonds set Friday by Lampasas County Precinct 4 Justice of the Peace Walter L. Prugh on charges of aggravated assault on a public servant and evading arrest in a motor vehicle, said a jail spokeswoman.

Straley was arrested Wednesday night by Temple police and transported to Bell County Jail.

On Thursday, Straley was picked up by Coryell County sheriffs deputies and transported to Coryell County Jail. When he arrived here, we found out that we did not have any charges pending against him and within 30 minutes, he was out of here to Lampasas County, said a Coryell County jailer.

Straley was being sought by the Copperas Cove Police Department in connection with both charges that began to unfold around 9:30 a.m. Oct. 8, when CCPD Officer Robert Terry attempted to stop Straley driving a 1995 black Chevrolet pickup for a speeding violation in the 1000 block of West U.S. Highway 190, said CCPD Daniel Austin earlier.

The suspect vehicle failed to stop and began traveling west on Highway 190 at a high rate of speed. He said a pursuit was initiated and it continued west on Highway 190.

When the suspect vehicle attempted to make a right turn from Highway 190 onto Big Divide Road, Austin said the driver apparently lost control of the truck and struck a utility pole.

Terry stopped his vehicle near the site of the collision and exited his patrol unit, Austin said.

Yet, the operator of the black truck allegedly put his vehicle in reverse and backed up at a high rate of speed toward the officer, who responded by firing one round at the vehicle, Austin said.

The suspect then fled the scene north on Big Divide Road, and the pursuing police officer continued to follow the vehicle on Big Divide, the lieutenant said.

The pursuing police officer lost sight of the vehicle, at which point the pursuit was terminated, said Austin, noting Terry was not injured.

The suspect vehicle was later found abandoned on Big Divide Road, and a search of the area was initiated by Copperas Cove police and several other agencies.

Contact Jimmie Ferguson at

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.