By Michelle Guffey

Killeen Daily Herald

BELTON – The trial for a 31-year-old Temple man will begin today with jury selection for a man accused of robbing a man at a Temple laundry mat.

Troy Danathan Kendricks will stand trial in Judge Martha Trudo's 264th District Court on a June 1, 2005, charge of aggravated robbery.

According to the arrest affidavit, Ronnie Briggs was washing his clothes at a laundry mat in Temple when he was approached by a man with a gun who demanded all of his money.

Briggs told Kendricks to get away from him to which Kendricks replied by punching him in the eye, causing Briggs to get stitches, and on the left side of his face, knocking a tooth out, court documents state.

The victim said that the assault caused him to double over during which time the defendant grabbed his wallet out of his back pocket, containing $125 in cash, records state.

The affidavit states that Kendricks then ran out of the business and got into a Toyota. But luck not being with Kendricks, his car refused to start and he took off running.

The Temple police found Kendrick's wallet with his Texas driver's license as well as several other papers identifying Kendrick's as the owner of the car.

In other court action, the capital murder trial of a 21-year-old Killeen man scheduled to start today was reset for July 24.

Koran Small is indicted on six counts of capital murder in the Oct. 20, 2003, deaths of Natasha Deeds, 20, and Tanya Barnes, 19, both of Killeen; and in the April 24, 2004, deaths of Gary Ridley, 35, and Sheria Lunde, 33, both of Belton.

Kyle Wade Greene, 19, of Killeen was convicted last October in the killing of the Belton couple and sentenced to life in prison.

Belton attorney John P. Galligan said he plans to file several motions later in the week asking for the testimony of a witness from Greene's trial.

Galligan was appointed to Small's case in January after his previous lawyers, Tom Seigman and Frank Holbrook both of Killeen, filed a motion to withdraw as counsel three weeks before the trial was to start for ethical reason that were not disclosed.

The first bodies – those of Ridley and Lunde – were discovered May 13, 2004. The couple was reported missing April 29, 2004.

On May 19, the skeletal remains of Deeds and Barnes were discovered in separate graves about one-quarter mile north of where the first bodies were found.

Barnes was last seen Oct. 28, 2003, at Sam's Dollhouse on Elms Road, where she worked. She was reported missing in February 2004 by Killeen police along with Deeds, her co-worker.

The two women were last seen in a car that was reported stolen, but the vehicle was found abandoned Jan. 30.

Small is charged in separate indictments with robbing and murdering the Belton couple and with kidnapping, robbing and murdering the two women.

According to the arrest affidavit, Greene stated that on April 26, 2004, he drove with Ridley and Lunde in their truck to meet Small at "The Field."

Greene admitted that the purpose of the meeting was to rob the couple of a gun they were trying to sell.

Ridley was shot once in the head, and Lunde was shot twice reportedly by Small.

Contact Michelle Guffey at

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.