• December 26, 2014

Trimmier Elementary School evacuates

Fire department called after smoke fills classroom

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 4:30 am

Students and staff at Trimmier Elementary School were evacuated Friday morning, after a malfunctioning air-conditioning unit caused a classroom to fill with smoke.

Clay Brooks, Killeen Fire Department battalion captain, said emergency units responded to an alarm at the school just after 10:30 a.m. Brooks said someone pulled the alarm after students and staff in one classroom began to see and smell smoke.

Brooks said the school’s staff safely evacuated students, who waited outside. There were no flames, Brooks said, and the cause of the smoke was a heating and air-conditioning unit on the school’s roof.

Students returned to their classes just after 11 a.m. and no one was injured, Brooks said.

John Craft, deputy superintendent for the Killeen Independent School District, said the school sent a letter to parents to inform them of the incident, and began fixing the HVAC unit.

“The staff and employees did a great job,” he added.

Craft said the classroom had no visible damage from the smoke, but students would not be able to go back to the room until the roof unit was repaired.

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.