Students and staff at Trimmier Elementary School were evacuated Friday morning, after a malfunctioning air-conditioning unit caused a classroom to fill with smoke.
Clay Brooks, Killeen Fire Department battalion captain, said emergency units responded to an alarm at the school just after 10:30 a.m. Brooks said someone pulled the alarm after students and staff in one classroom began to see and smell smoke.
Brooks said the school’s staff safely evacuated students, who waited outside. There were no flames, Brooks said, and the cause of the smoke was a heating and air-conditioning unit on the school’s roof.
Students returned to their classes just after 11 a.m. and no one was injured, Brooks said.
John Craft, deputy superintendent for the Killeen Independent School District, said the school sent a letter to parents to inform them of the incident, and began fixing the HVAC unit.
“The staff and employees did a great job,” he added.
Craft said the classroom had no visible damage from the smoke, but students would not be able to go back to the room until the roof unit was repaired.