A local woman filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Bush’s Chicken, claiming her husband died after eating tainted food at one of the restaurant’s Killeen locations.
The lawsuit, filed on behalf of Angela Scurry in Travis County District Court, stated that Angela Scurry’s husband became ill shortly after he ate chicken strips from the Bush’s Chicken location on 38th Street in Killeen on Nov. 27, 2012.
Angela Scurry claims she and her husband went to the Bush’s Chicken at 812 38th St.
According to the complaint, Scurry’s husband, Morris Scurry, ate some of the chicken on the way home, and the rest later that night.
About 3 a.m. he started vomiting and having diarrhea. The following day, Morris Scurry collapsed inside his home “writhing on the floor in pain,” according to the complaint.
Morris Scurry was diagnosed with an infection caused by Campylobacter bacteria. During his stay in the hospital, Morris Scurry suffered cardiac arrest but was revived.
He was released Dec. 7, returned to the hospital two more times, complaining of symptoms and was given the same diagnosis and treatment, according to the complaint.
On Dec. 21, Morris Scurry collapsed at his home, and was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital.
The lawsuit alleges Morris Scurry’s’ illness and death was the result of a Campylobacter bacteria infection. Campylobacter is caused by eating raw or undercooked poultry meat, or from other foods cross-contaminated by raw or undercooked poultry, according to the complaint.
The lawsuit charges that Bush’s failed to properly prepare the chicken Morris Scurry ate, and claims that Bell County Health Inspection forms show a “history of improper cooking temperature, cross-contamination and other violations” at the location.
Angela Scurry and her Dallas-based attorney are asking for more than $1 million, plus punitive damages and attorney’s fees.
Bush’s Chicken did not respond to a request for a comment on the lawsuit.