By Philip Jankowski

Killeen Daily Herald

BELTON - A disabled 21-year-old woman was injured during a Tuesday afternoon house fire in Belton.

The injured woman's mother carried her from the home as it caught fire, according to one of the first witnesses on the scene.

With burns to her left leg and arms, emergency officials took the woman to McLean Children's Hospital Scott & White in Temple.

Amanda Massie said she was driving on Farm-to-Market 439 when she saw flames and smoke coming from a neighborhood. She turned off the road onto Cedar Crest Drive and saw the burning home in the 3300 block.

Massie said the injured woman was being tended to by her mother outside of the house, and she and another person moved them to the opposite side of the street.

The injured woman was conscious and somewhat responsive. "She seemed to be in shock," said Massie.

Bell County Fire Marshal Steve Casey said the home was a complete loss. A truck also was destroyed in the blaze, which was called in at 3:08 p.m.

Audra Tanner said she saw flames while driving on FM 439 to her cousin's house and called authorities after she didn't see any fire engines at the residence.

To extinguish the blaze, firefighters had to cut into the burning house with a chainsaw and then sprayed water inside. Responding to the incident were firefighters from Morgan's Point, Belton and Central Bell County Fire Rescue.

Contact Philip Jankowski at

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.