(NAPSI)—When it’s time to move to your college dorm, your first apartment, your family house, your scaled-down empty nest or whenever you have a new home, you may be able to save time, trouble and money by doing it yourself.
To make driving your own moving truck easier, heed these smart safety hints from the experts at Penske Truck Rental:
• Have a handle on what you haul. Most truck rental agreements include language from the U.S. Department of Transportation prohibiting the “carrying or hauling of explosives and other dangerous articles.” That means don’t pack flammable items such as paint, chemicals and cleaning materials, flammable solvents, propane, gasoline and the like. Your rental agent can explain it all to you.
• Take your time. Allow plenty of time to get to your destination and be aware of possible bottlenecks along the way. Be mindful of rush hour traffic, too, and plan accordingly.
• Get acquainted with the vehicle. Familiarize yourself with the truck’s switches and gauges. Properly adjust the side mirrors for maximum visibility.
• Watch out for blind spots. Remember, trucks have oversized blind spots known as the “No-Zone,” according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Be aware of these areas, especially when changing lanes or coming to a stop. For more about dealing with blind spots, visit www.sharetheroadsafely.org.
• Pay particular attention when driving a truck. “Trucks are taller, wider and may weigh up to 10 times more than the average car,” explained Don Mikes, senior vice president−rental, Penske Truck Leasing. “You have to be extra vigilant.”
• Insure yourself. “Most insurance and credit card companies won’t cover truck rentals under existing policies,” Mikes added. If your insurance company is among them, consider signing up for additional coverage options to protect yourself and your belongings. You may feel more confident knowing that his company offers free 24/7 emergency roadside assistance.
• Learn more. You can find more moving facts and tips at www.PenskeTruckRental.com or by calling 1-800-GOPENSKE.
On the Net:North American Precis Syndicate, Inc.(NAPSI)