(Family Features) With a busy family and hectic schedules it can feel like the laundry pile is constantly growing. Just when you think you've finally made a dent, there's another shirt, sports uniform or pair of dirty socks needing a good washing. But with a little prep work, you can make laundry easier to tackle and keep your clothes clean and fresh:
- Check the labels to make sure you use the right wash and dry cycle. This will help to clean your garment properly as well as protect the fabrics and colors in the long run.
- Spot clean pesky stains as soon as possible. Using a color-safe, multipurpose, oxygen-based stain remover, like OxiClean, can help to eliminate the stain before it even goes into the machine.
- For heavily soiled clothes, the trick is to pre-soak. Soaking overnight can help to loosen dirt and grime and help eliminate stains you may not have even noticed were there.
- Keep clothing from fading by turning bright colored and black garments inside out before washing. Also, use the coolest temperature setting as recommended on the garment label.
- Make sure dirt doesn't get trapped - unroll sleeves, socks and pant legs, close zippers and untangle towels and sheets. Your clothes will not only get cleaner, but will require less ironing later too!
- Use a powerful stain fighting detergent like ARM & HAMMER Ultra Power 4X Concentrated Liquid Laundry Detergents. The formula gets clothes 50 percent whiter and 50 percent fresher than the leading value detergent per load. Also, the ultra-concentrated formula takes up less space so it's easier to store and use.
- Cut down on drying time by tossing a clean, dry bath towel into the dryer with jeans, rugs or blankets. It helps absorb extra moisture so your clothes dry faster.
- Don't overload the washer or dryer. That makes it harder for either machine to do a good job on your clothes.
For more laundry tips visit www.armandhammer.com.