(NAPSI)—As a nutritionist specializing in pet food, I receive countless questions about finding the right food for cats, especially those with dietary challenges.
It is important to note that finding the right food for your cat is a process. While the food must supply the required nutrients, to do so it has to be consumed. Cats often have personal preferences as to specific tastes and textures. My company, for example, offers five unique, dry cat foods and four artisan canned cat foods. They present a variety of ways to meet your cat’s desires.
Canned vs. Dry
When it comes to delivering the right nutrients to your cat, dry or canned foods can achieve the same results. While dry food is often more cost effective, canned foods usually contain about 80 percent moisture, which can be beneficial if your cat needs more moisture intake.
Urinary Stones and Crystals
Often, cats have urinary tract problems caused by stones and crystals. Research suggests many factors involved in the cause and prevention of urinary tract issues. These include excessive amounts of poor-quality nutrients, individual metabolism, water consumption, urine pH, incorrect mineral balance and, according to one new study, stress. In any case, however, since some cats do not drink adequate amounts of water, increasing water consumption can help.
Increasing water consumption will increase the frequency of urination and help dilute the solid portion of the urine, making it more difficult for stones and crystals to be formed.
Ways to increase water consumption include:
• Leave a faucet dripping that cats have access to.
• Use two or three recirculating or waterfall-type watering bowls.
• Feed canned foods either as a meal or as a topper three or four times per week.
• Add water to the dry food.
• Use small ice cubes as treats.
• Mr. Watkins is the on-site nutritionist and technical services specialist at Fromm Family Foods, a fourth-generation, family-owned company specializing in premium dog and cat nutrition.
To learn more, visit www.frommfamily.com.
On the Net:North American Precis Syndicate, Inc.(NAPSI)