(BPT) - Whether your vacation takes you on a hiking adventure in the mountains, to the beach, to explore a new city or vineyards, chances are you will end up with a bunch of photos.
With advanced lens technology on smartphones and professional-grade cameras now affordable and available to consumers, it’s easier than ever to capture memories from travel and adventures. However, it’s not enough to have great equipment.
Before that big trip, it's important to get familiar with a camera's settings and its capabilities. In addition, everyone can unleash their inner photographer and ensure their vacation memories look better than ever with a few tips on how to shoot like a pro.
1. Take a lot of pictures. Many people wait for just the right moment to carefully take one picture. This is a throwback to the days of film, when people had to be careful to conserve their rolls. Those days are long gone. Take 10 or 25 shots at a time. The more pictures someone takes, the more likely they’ll get just the right shot.
2. Some tips on portraits. Portrait photography is one of the simplest, yet most challenging, styles to master. A few points of advice that will make portraits look great include:
* Get in close so the subject’s face is the focal point.
* Check the background: Are there people walking by or a trash can in view? Waiting a few seconds or shifting the angle can remove a distraction.
* Finally, a natural smile or expression makes a good portrait, so have a conversation or tell a joke when taking photos.
3. Take pictures outside. Natural light is just easier to work with. Take advantage of overcast days for soft colors and that evening glow. The diversity of natural light can create some stunning effects, and it’s easy! Just remember to shoot with the sun to your back.
4. Fall in love with the magic hour. The hour after sunrise and the hour before sunset are what photographers call the magic hour. This is when the low light creates soft shadows and spectacular, natural colors that make the best photographs. Avoid taking pictures in the middle of the day, when the sun is high and casts harsh shadows. This can lead to squinting and unhappy subjects.
After capturing and editing, chances are there are many great shots. While posting them on social media is a wonderful way to share with all your family and friends, you can also celebrate and commemorate your vacation memories with prints and display them on a canvas or in photo books. It's easy to print your photos in-store by visiting one of the thousands of Kodak Picture Kiosks, which can be found at most CVS and Target locations. Photo books and photo gifts are available at KodakMoments.com or on the Kodak Moments App, which offer options to pick up in store or deliver.
It’s never been easier to snap a photo at a moment’s notice. With these tips, you'll be able to turn good photographs into great ones for sharing and reliving your vacation memories.