Even though grilling is pretty much a year-round option in Texas, there’s still something about Memorial Day that makes me want to break out the charcoal.
The unofficial start to summer wouldn’t be the same without a meal prepared and served outdoors.
This weekend, I’ll be firing up the grill to add smoky goodness to hamburgers, hot dogs and sausage — traditional family favorites.
While I usually go for leaner beef when preparing burgers indoors, I like to add a little fat for the grill.
I use 85 percent lean beef and add in minced onion and several spices as I hand mash quarter-pound patties.
I’ll also grill corn and skewers of onions, peppers and squash.
Along with that, I’ll be serving pasta salad and a new patriotic-colored dessert pizza I saw in a magazine. It tops a brownie crust with blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and cream cheese.
Brownie ’n Berries Dessert Pizza
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 2 hours, 50 minutes
- 1 box Betty Crocker Original Supreme Premium brownie mix
- Water, vegetable oil and egg called for on brownie mix box
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- ½ cup apple jelly
- Preheat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease bottom only of 12-inch pizza pan with cooking spray or shortening.
- Make brownie batter as directed. Spread in pan. Bake 26 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted 2 inches from side of pan comes out almost clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Carefully spread mixture evenly over brownie base. Arrange berries over cream cheese mixture.
- Stir jelly until smooth; brush over berries.
- Refrigerate about 1 hour or until chilled.
- Cut into wedges. Store covered in refrigerator.
— Betty Crocker