Winter is my favorite time of year, partly because citrus is in season. Nothing brightens a meal like the sweet, tangy zing of a lemon, orange, grapefruit or tangerine.
During colder months, I never have to worry about getting enough vitamin C — there’s always fresh citrus in my house.
I love adding citrus to savory foods to brighten the flavor, but I also love citrus for breakfast and dessert.
Thanks to my sister, who ordered 80 pounds of grapefruit from a school fundraiser, the sweet, yet tart ruby red has been my recent citrus of choice.
- 2 red grapefruits
- 8 large strawberries
- 2 ripe bananas
- 8 ounces strawberry-banana yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup crushed ice
- Juice grapefruit; measure 1 1/3 cups juice. Add strawberries. Cut bananas into chunks.
- Combine all the ingredients in an electric blender and whirl until smooth.
Makes: 4 8-ounce servings.
Nutrition per serving: 210 calories, 1 g fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 30 mg, 50 g carbohydrates, 4 g protein.
Grapefruit frozen yogurt
- 4 cups grapefruit
- 6 ounces plain greek yogurt
- ½ cup Splenda
- Section grapefruit and place sections on a sheet pan, cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine frozen grapefruit sections, yogurt and Splenda in a food processor and process 30 seconds or until smooth and creamy.
- Scoop into dishes and freeze until ready to serve.
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 cup sugar
- 2½ cups freshly squeezed lemon juice (14 lemons)
- 2 cups freshly squeezed grapefruit juice (3 large grapefruit)
- 1 grapefruit cut into thin round halves for garnish (optional)
- Prepare an ice bath. Combine the sugar and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan.
- Stir well and set over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until all of the sugar has dissolved. About 10 minutes.
- Pour the sugar syrup into a medium bowl and set the bowl in the ice bath to cool. Syrup should yield 2½ cups.
- When ready to serve the beverage, combine the lemon juice, grapefruit juice and the sugar syrup in a medium pitcher. Add the grapefruit garnish and fill with ice cubes.
- Serve immediately.
Makes: 12 servings
Recipes adapted from Texas Sweet Citrus
Contact M. Clare Haefner at email@example.com or (254) 501-7551.