It’s finally fall, and time for me to pull out my crock pot for some tasty meals that cook while I’m asleep.
Some of my favorite slow cooker dishes are meaty and rich with flavor. I love waking up to a home spiced with cumin, chili powder and whatever else I’ve tossed in the crock pot with a beef roast or chicken before I go to bed.
My job keeps me at work late most nights, so I prefer to cook overnight and reheat before serving, unlike people with more traditional work schedules who would be more likely to throw food in a crock pot before work in the morning so a meal is ready at dinner time.
One of my favorite crock pot meals is carne asada, a Mexican staple my brother-in-law has taught me to fully appreciate. It takes a long time to prepare properly so the meat gets tender, which makes the slow cooker a great way to make it.
Carne asada can be served many ways.
My favorite is in whole wheat flour tortillas with a little shredded Monterrey Jack cheese, lettuce and homemade salsa with cilantro on top.
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (or less if you don’t like spicy, hot food)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sweet onion, cut into chunks
- 1 beef rump roast (about 2 pounds)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- In a small bowl, beat lime juice, oil, vinegar, cumin, paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
- In a 4- to 6-quart oval slow cooker, arrange onion chunks. Place beef over onions. Pour lime juice mixture over beef. Brush beef with any remaining mixture from bowl. Sprinkle garlic over top.
- Cover; cook on low until tender, about 8 or 9 hours.
- Remove beef from slow cooker and shred beef using two forks. Return beef to slow cooker; stir well to mix beef with sauce and serve.
— Adapted from a Weight Watchers.com recipe.
News/Design Editor M. Clare Haefner enjoys cooking for family and friends. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org or (254) 501-7551.