To the Editor:
The current drought and dangerously low lake levels need our community leaders’ attention.
Here are some recommendations that I consider important to consider:
• Form a water conservation committee of citizens.
• Post daily in the Killeen Daily Herald important facts on water use to include daily stage restrictions.
• Publish a list of ways to conserve water.
• Develop a listing of water saving tips and include this in the water bills.
• Use the city code enforcement staff to monitor water usage (it is not uncommon to drive around and see water sprinklers running in the middle of the afternoon in 100-degree heat).
• Have a meeting of the five major water users in Killeen to solicit their conservation ideas and find out what other cities in our area are doing.
The Austin area has many active programs for citizens.
One even provides a citizen rebate for conservation efforts.
I’m sure there must be more ideas out there.
It seems to me that we should at least be in Phase 2 restrictions by now.
Don’t be fooled by a rain shower, it would take at least 30 days of rain to fill our lakes.
This situation needs our ideas and our prayers.