Reader says income inequality not just a distraction, but a harsh reality - Letters to the Editor - Mobile Adv

back Side Panel

Reader says income inequality not just a distraction, but a harsh reality

Posted

To The Editor:

In Saturday’s (Feb. 8) Herald, Michael Phillips complained that income inequality was being used as a distraction from the Affordable Care Act (aka “Obamacare”).

Surely Mr. Phillips is aware of the vast disparities in income in this country with 1 percent making as much or more than the other 99 percent?

No one is targeting all of the small and medium businesses in the country. They have been and will continue to be a very important part of our economy.

The complaint is against the financiers on Wall Street and the CEOs of the corporations who have become amoral in their quest for more and more money for themselves.

It is a complaint that they no longer should contribute to the commons by paying fair taxes as every citizen is doing and they believe the government belongs to themselves.

It is indeed the 1 percent against the 99 percent.

Even some very wealthy people who have remained loyal citizens and are not addicted to money are in the 99 percent.

I have no idea where his thoughts come from, but he is wrong on his facts, right on the pain he feels.

To me this is a moral crisis. It is not an issue that belongs to Democrats or Republicans but to all of us who know something is very wrong and must be corrected.

Glenda Turck

Killeen

Close