Anthony Taylor Masters-Gutierrez

A 27-year-old man was charged with murder in a stabbing death that occurred Monday afternoon on Andover Drive in south-central Killeen, police said Thursday.

Anthony Taylor Masters-Gutierrez was arraigned by Justice of the Peace Bill Cooke on Wednesday.

As of Thursday morning, Masters-Gutierrez was being held in the Bell County Jail on a $1 million bond.

Masters-Gutierrez went to the east gate of Fort Hood, near the intersection of West Rancier Avenue and Tank Destroyer Boulevard, at around 5:30 p.m. Monday and said he had murdered his roommate, who was later identified as 27-year-old John Dearmontrice Mitchell, although the relationship between the two men is unknown.

Police said Masters-Gutierrez told them he did not live at the residence, but that he walked there, went inside, grabbed a knife and stabbed Mitchell several times, according to an arrest affidavit.

Killeen Police Chief Charles Kimble said in a press conference Tuesday that police had no reason to believe either Masters-Gutierrez or Mitchell were in the Army.

“We’re still trying to find out why (Masters-Gutierrez) went to Fort Hood,” he said Tuesday.

The arrest affidavit also does not specify whether Masters-Gutierrez knew Mitchell, and questions to police Thursday were not immediately returned.

When Masters-Gutierrez got to the east gate of Fort Hood, he had what appeared to be blood on his hands and blood on his clothing, police said in the affidavit.

Killeen police went to an apartment in the 2300 block of Andover Drive, approximately 3 miles from Fort Hood’s east gate, to conduct a welfare check. After knocking on the apartment door and receiving no answer, police entered, the affidavit said.

When they entered the apartment, they saw a man, later identified as Mitchell, lying on the floor in the kitchen “with a large pool of blood” next to him, police said in the affidavit.

Mitchell was deceased and police saw what they said appeared to be multiple stab wounds to his face and neck. They saw a blood-covered knife near Mitchell, the affidavit said.

Police arrested Masters-Gutierrez and he was held at the Killeen jail. Police read him his rights, which they said he waived and confessed to killing Mitchell, police said in the affidavit.

“The suspect was asked how and responded by saying ‘with a knife,’ “the affidavit said.


(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.